Capstone Evidence-based Paper Guidelines
In this final assignment of the Capstone course, the student will use skills of inquiry gained in the
baccalaureate nursing program to identify a clinical issue upon which nurses have the ability to resolve or
have a positive impact. With a focus on the diversity of the individual as well as the variation of cultural
values of a particular population, the student will develop a plan for addressing the clinical issue. With the
incorporation of other disciplines from the health care team the student will describe the role the nurse
has in the implementation of an ethically sound plan.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO # 1: Synthesize knowledge from sciences, humanities, and nursing in managing the
needs of humans as consumers of healthcare in a patient-centered environment. (PO#1)
CO # 2: Integrate communication and relationship skills in teamwork and collaboration
functioning effectively with health team members and consumers of care. (PO#3)
CO # 3: Utilize information technology to manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support
decision making with health team members and consumers of care. (PO# 8)
CO # 4 Integrate critical thinking, clinical reasoning skills, best current evidence, clinical
expertise, and patient/family preferences/valuesin the implementation of the nursing
process. (PO# 4)
CO # 5: Explore the impact of professional standards, legislative issues, ethical principles,
and values on professional nursing, using data to monitor outcomes and improve quality
and safety. (PO# 5, 6)
Unless otherwise instructed by the faculty, this assignment is due to be submitted in the course drop box no
later the 12 am (midnight) on the Sunday at the end of Unit 6. The Colleges Late Assignment Policy applies to
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE
preventing Arterial Line complications
Term Paper: Professional Development Exercise
This assignment is aligned with the module objective “Demonstrate community assessments and apply the principles of epidemiology.” As part of the written assignment, you will complete the following tasks:
Ashford General Hospital is a 263-bed regional hospital located in California, serving its community for more than 50 years. The hospital maintains the only 24-hour emergency department in the area and an “extended hours” urgent care clinic. Similar to other hospitals in the United States, Ashford General Hospital is encountering a nursing shortage. Sixty-eight percent of the nursing staff is over the age of 45, facing retirement. The retention rate on nurses is 61%, compared to 65% nationwide. Many of the nursing staff find the work too physically demanding and have a feeling of emotional burn-out as well. In the past two years, the hospital has used both per diem nurses and traveling nurses who sign short-term contracts to fill individual shifts and accommodate short-term staffing needs arising from staff vacations or medical leaves. This has not only driven up personnel costs but also resulted in lower scores on patient satisfaction surveys. Ashford General Hospital faces significant challenges in nurse staffing ahead as it grapples with these issues, and the hospital board is very concerned. They know there must be some changes made in order to prevent a major financial and human resources crisis in the future. As the newly hired CEO, you are asked to present a proposal in the next board meeting.
Instructions for the final paper:
For your Final Paper, you will create a 10 to 15 page proposal (excluding title and reference pages) for the Ashford General Hospital Board of Directors. In your proposal, you will:
- Include an executive summary.
- Research and describe solutions implemented at five other hospitals in the US that were dealing with these same issues.
- Based on your research, describe two solutions that are the most viable for Ashford General Hospital to implement within the next two years.
- Create a total of two stakeholder group analyses for two solutions you select. Each analysis should include at least five stakeholder groups involved (e.g. patients, hospital executive administration, accounting, Human Resources (HR), marketing, third-party payers, etc.). As part of your analysis, address the following questions:
- Who is impacted?
- What change processes may be required?
- What fiscal impact would occur?
- What are the ethical, legal, and diversity risk factors involved?
- Based upon the stakeholder group analyses, recommend the best solution for Ashford General Hospital with detailed justification.
- To prepare your board proposal, including the textbook, utilize at least 10-to-12 scholarly and/or peer-reviewed sources that were published within the past five years, as well as hospital or foundation websites. All sources must be cited according to APA style.
Review the instructions for your Final Paper located in Week Six of your online course. As part of your Final Paper, you are asked to research and identify solutions implemented at five other hospitals in the U.S. that were dealing with the same issues. Create an outline illustrating five solutions implemented at five other hospitals, including key details. Use the “Guide to Creating an Outline” for assistance.
Your outline must be formatted according to the guidelines as stated in the. Your paper must be two to three double-spaced pages (excluding title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style Including the textbook, utilize a minimum of five scholarly and/or peer-reviewed sources from published within the last five years. Document all references in APA style
Select a peer-reviewed concept analysis article of your choice and write a response of 1,000–1,250 words. Use the following guidelines:
- Include an introduction
- Describe the steps of process and the results for each step.
- Apply the concept to a practice situation.
- Include a conclusion.
Prepare this assignment according to guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
6. Fundamental Patterns of Knowing in Nursing
Read “Fundamental Patterns of Knowing in Nursing,” by Barbara Carper, from Advances in Nursing Science (1978).
7. Patterns of Knowing: Review, Critique, and Update
Read “Patterns of Knowing: Review, Critique, and Update,” by White, from Advances in Nursing Science (1995).
8. Professional Socialization Models in Nursing
Read “Professional Socialization Models in Nursing,” from
International Journal of Nursing Education (2016).
9. The Living Tree of Nursing Theories
Read “The Living Tree of Nursing Theories,” by Tourville and Ingalls, from Nursing Forum (2003).
This paper is for a nursing class. (1) A Scholarly Academic Journal/Article must be used pertaining to healthcare for the case study (i.e. nursing, hospital, medical care). You can use this case study http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S…)
(2) Subheadings must be included for each paragraph. Subheading should be titled: Introduction, Intervention/Solution, Possible Interventions/Solutions, Case Outcome, Cultural Issues, Ethical Principle, Conclusion.
(3) Plagiarism will be checked through the software turnitin.com.
(4) Please read the Rubric and Paper Instructions carefully. One of the criteria is to “Explain at least two ethical principles involved and how the principles apply to the case” this can be found in the Ethics Principles file I uploaded.Moderate description Vague Description Incomplete
Explain at least two ethical principles involved (from your textbook) and how the principles apply to the case
Ethical principles explained and applications to case supported
Explains ethical principles but application to case unsupported
Vaguely explains ethical principles and application to case unsupported
List principles, lacks explanation and application to case
Identify several possible interventions or solutions that could have been used in this case
Interventions identified and explained
Interventions identified and moderately explained
Interventions identified but vaguely explained
Interventions listed but not explained
Identify and describe cultural issues that would influence the decision
Cultural issues identified and supported
Cultural issues identified but application to issue somewhat supported
Cultural issues vaguely identified and somewhat supported
Cultural issues incompletely addressed and unsupported
Describe the intervention/solution that was used in this case and why it was or was not the best solution
Intervention/solution described well and supported Moderately describes intervention with appropriate support
Vaguely describes intervention with limited support
Description and explanation incomplete and unsupported
Describe the outcome of the case Outcome described and supported
Describes the outcome with moderate support Vaguely describes outcome with limited support
Outcome incompletely addressed and unsupported Organization 10 8 5 0
APA- Followed APA
guidelines. Paper length
does not include title and
Paper is 3 pages in
follows all APA