Cancer and Genetics
Unit II Assessment
In order for organisms to grow, repair, maintain, and reproduce, cells undergo cell division. Sometimes,
cells uncontrollably divide, resulting in cancer. In the first part of the Cancer and Cell Division Lab, you will
learn about normal cell division and will compare it to cell division that occurs in cancer cells. You will then
visit a website to find out more information about cancer. You will learn why it occurs, why it kills, and new
treatments that are being tested and used to treat cancer.
1. Explain the process of cancer, the effects on the human body, the various types, and the risk
2. Explain various treatments for cancer.
3. Explain the various stages of mitosis.
No extra materials will be required to complete this lab other than internet service.
Go to the following website: http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/BL_23/BL_23.html
Follow the steps under the Procedure section.
Type all answers directly on the data sheet.
Select Save As, and save this document using your last name and student ID as the file name.
Upload the data sheet as a .doc, .docx, or rtf file when you are finished.
While viewing the video, answer the following questions. Each question is worth 2 points. Total: 4 points
1. In which stage of cell division is the DNA copied?
2. During which stage of mitosis do the chromosomes line up in the middle?
After viewing the video, click on the Information tab in the bottom right corner. Answer the following
questions. Each question is worth 2 points. Total: 6 points
1. In which of the cancer types listed, are males not at risk of developing?
2. Cigarette smoke is a major risk factor for which type of cancer listed?
3. The risk for which type of cancer increases after the age of 55?
Continue following the directions under the Procedure Section, and complete the following table. The
table is worth 17 points.
% of Cells
% of Cells
Continue following the directions under the Procedures section and answer the following questions. Each
question is worth 3 points. Total: 9 points
1. Based on your data and observations, what are some of the Differences between normal cells
and cancer cells?
2. Which type of cancer shows the most aggressive growth? Explain your answer.
3. When studying cell division in tissue samples, scientists often calculate a mitotic index, which is
the ratio of dividing cells to the total number of cells in the sample. Scientists often calculate the
mitotic index to compare the growth rates of different types of tissue. Which type of tissue would
have a higher mitotic index, normal tissue or cancerous tissue? Explain.
Go to: http://www.cancer.org/
Click on: Learn About Cancer. View each section contained in the menu under Learn About Cancer
Topics and answer the following questions. Each question is worth 2 points. Total: 14 points
1. How many people in the US get cancer each year?
2. What causes cancer?
3. Since there are many different types of cancer, how is cancer named?
4. List 2 signs or symptoms of breast cancer.
5. Can males development breast cancer?
6. What is the most common type of cancer?
7. List two ways you could get involved and help fight against cancer.